Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Where IS God...in my Facebook life?

Something that really irritates me are these "Christian" fan pictures. Typically they have some picture of Jesus, or an angel, or some creeping looking Satan and fire going on with some text along the lines of "Click Like/Share if you love God...keep scrolling if you love Satan". First of all, that is outrageous. Secondly, I am never going to Like or (help us all) Share a picture like that ever! And thirdly, I love God with all my heart and as for Satan, no. The thought of loving him is disturbing. 

When I scroll past those dreadful pictures on my Facebook News Feed, why am I cringing? Well, it's for several reasons. Partially it is because the pictures give me an unsettling guilt for not clicking the Like button. I feel guilty because I have scrolled. I feel guilty, but it is a fake man made guilt...not a guilt that God, Himself had put in my conscience. I am angered because some person, a human being has made me feel bad about my relationship with Christ.

This isn't what Christianity is all about. This is not loving God. This is pointless spam. But it seems that to some, this is where "Facebook Christianity" is at. It is as ridiculous as those chain mail things that say: "Send this friendship poem to five friends within the next two hours or else you will die" ...like no...come on now...don't be stupid.

I think social networking sites such as Facebook and Blogger are great for bringing people together in the Christian community. It's cool to even have Facebook groups such as: "Let's get all Christians in one group!!" because it makes you feel not alien even if you are the one and only person in your school or workplace who believes in God. But even aside from that, Facebooking about God and His love should not be a superficial, manipulated click of a button. A relationship with God is not a click of a button...it's true, genuine, real and something you should actually want to Share.

No comments: